Monday, January 29, 2007

gamers surprise

Well, while I've been waiting to find a Wii available for purchase, I decided to buy a new game, Star Wars: Battlefront II, for my PS2.

I expected I would enjoy this (in part because I'm kind of a Star Wars nerd), but I thought my wife, who loves video games but doesn't have any experience with shooters to speak of, would not enjoy it.

To my surprise, we have played the game quite a bit in the past several days in split-screen mode, and she has thoroughly enjoyed it. Note that she is not a Star Wars afficianado (I have frequently had to tell her which ships were friend-or-foe when playing the space missions -- she doesn't know the difference between an ISD and an A-Wing. Fortunately I was around to help out. :-)

The multiplayer experience in this game was surprisingly satisfactory, and my only complaint is that the story mode was a bit short. That is made up for in part by the Galactic Conquest strategy game, though compared to some of the story missions it might be a bit too easy.

She's getting good enough at this, that I may soon feel willing to start playing competitively against her, instead of just doing cooperative missions. Still, I wish more developers would do games that allowed for cooperative play.

No comments: