Sunday, February 11, 2007

OGB elections

Gman's recent announcement of OGB candidacy is interesting. The draft constitution allows for self-nomination, so it is reasonable, but as yet no other nominations have been made. (At least not publicly, as far as I can tell.)

I'd like to see some more formal means of putting forth nominations. I have several that I'd like to make.

We also need a way for candidates to decline a nomination. Or perhaps candidates can just openly state that they are not interested in serving on OGB. I'm not sure. It would be nice if the board would put forth a statement to the membership at large about this step.

In case anyone is thinking about nominating me, I'd be happy to serve on OGB, though at the moment I think it is a bit premature for me to start campaigning; I want to see what the other nominations look like. One thing is certain, there are a number of high-quality candidates, and I'm confident that elections are likely to result in an OGB with a strong technical and community makeup. (I've been involved with other FOSS communities in the past, and so far, despite noises on cab-discuss that might give the impression otherwise, I've found the OpenSolaris community to be amongst the least political and most technical of them. And yes, I consider this a strong point in our favor.)

No comments: