Thursday, February 15, 2007

throwing my hat...

into the ring.

Yep, I've decided to run for the OGB as well. Here's my position statement that I posted to cab-discuss earlier:

I am an employee of a SPARC OEM partner, where I work on Solaris and OpenSolaris (as well as other embedded products). I also have contributed to OpenSolaris in a personal capacity. I've worked with Solaris since 2.5.

My expertise is kernel software, especially device drivers, cryptography, mobile platform support, and networking (802.3 and 802.11 in particular). I've had my hand in various other bits as well.

I have built kernels, many of which panic, and many of which don't. Some of which have made other people panic. I also was responsible for suggesting the name of a Sun product which is the Greek word for "panic". (I also wrote the kernel software for said product.)

I've contributed code to a number of open source projects over the years.

My position on OpenSolaris is that I want to continue to contribute and innovate, and enable others to do so. I want to avoid things that would fracture the community, or forking the project. I want to continue to enable business to build solutions on the OpenSolaris platform. For this reason I'm somewhat opposed to GPL or other licenses that are viral in nature for components that are part of the core platform. (The kernel and critical supporting software, for example.) I want to try to work with hardware vendors to get them to recognize the benefit of providing "first class" and "first party" support for OpenSolaris with their products.

No comments: